Banana bread has always been one of my favorite treats. I buy bananas just to let them go brown and make it. I like it to be moist, just a little dense, and packed with ripe banana flavor.
Banana bread was the first thing I ever made for my husband. He brought me a Capri sun, the next day I brought banana bread, and the rest is history.
The way I keep my banana bread moist is by using sour cream.
Another different ingredient I like to add is a touch of cinnamon. It’s completely optional but that little bit of cinnamon really adds to the flavor and isn’t overpowering.
Some things that you can mix into the batter are nuts, or chocolate chips. I have used walnuts, pecans, and macadamia nuts, all being successful. If you go the macadamia nut route I recommend tossing some white chocolate chips in too.
For this recipe you will need:
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups AP flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 Cup mashed bananas (about 3)
- 1/2 Cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350, grease, using spray or butter and flour, a 9-inch loaf pan.
- Cream together butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy in a large bowl.
- Add in the eggs and mix fully.
- Combine the flour, baking, soda, cinnamon, and salt, whisk together and add to the butter mixture.
- Add in the mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla, mix until combined. Being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour into the pan and bake for about 50 minutes. You want the center to be fully baked. When jiggled the middle should remain firm.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove to wire rack.
- Do not add more mashed bananas than the one cup, it will create wet spots and seem under baked when it is finished.
- Greek yogurt as a substitute tastes the same while reducing the calories.
- Mash your bananas extremely well before adding them to your mix.
- I love banana bread the next day after the flavors have melded together better. It is delicious warmed up in the toaster oven with butter on top.