Subtly sweet and soft banana nut muffins. These muffins are perfect for the morning on the go, or to have with your morning coffee. After this quarantine and all the banana bread that was made, this is another use for those over ripe bananas. The are reminiscent of the wonderful bakery muffins.
When baking these muffins it is crucial to bake them all the way through. You don’t want to have any wet spot in the middle on top. While they make look done, if you touch the top gently and it doesn’t spring back up, then they need to bake for a little longer.
Can’t I just use a banana bread recipe and put it in a muffin pan? Well yes, you totally can. However, a banana bread recipe will yield a denser muffin. Where this recipe will have a light fluffy result. I used to not like walnuts in my muffins ( or cookies or cakes) I would pick them off the top and out of the middle of the muffin. Although, the last several years I’ve come around to them. With that being said, if you want to omit the walnuts, the muffins will still be delicious.
To make banana nut muffins, you will need:
- 1 1/2 cup bananas (mashed)
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Add melted butter and mashed bananas to a mixing bowl. Beat together, add in brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix until fully combined.
- Next, add in the egg and vanilla extract. Beat together until light and fluffy.
- Sift together, flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to the mixing bowl and mix until just barely together.
- After, pour the milk and mix one final time.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the walnuts, leaving some to sprinkle on top.
- Pour the batter into your muffin tin, (it will make 6 large or 12 regular)
- Bake for 35-40 minutes for large or 24-28 for regular. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
For more muffins, check out my Bakery-style Blueberry Muffins